TFW Unlock Policy
- TracFone has started to launch handsets that are capable of being unlocked and customers can read the unlocking policy online
- This policy is compliant with the Federal Communications Commission
- The TFW Unlock Policy applies to phones made by StraightTalk, Net10, TotalWireless, Telcel, Tracfone, SimpleMobile, and SafeLink
The TFW Unlock Policy will only take about 5 minutes to read and is not required to obtain an unlocked phone. Customers can provide their phone number or serial number to check if their device is eligible to be unlocked or eligible for a partial refund or trade-in. Please note Non-SafeLink subscribers with handsets that cannot be unlocked may be eligible for a partial refund or credit toward a new handset.
TFW Unlock Policy Quick Notes
- Previous handsets sold by TracFone are locked to TracFone service, and not technically capable of being unlocked
- This is changing as of May of 2020 as TracFone has started launching handsets capable of being unlocked
- Customers who have a TracFone that is not capable of being unlocked may be entitled to a refund
Who can apply for a refund under the terms of the TFW Unock Policy?
- Customers must request handset unlocking.
- Customers must have had their locked device activated on TracFone service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported.
- Customers must request this interim unlocking solution while their service is active or within 60 days after their active service days expire. This 60-day grace period applies even if the customer’s telephone number was recycled or ported.
- Customers must currently own a TracFone branded handset model launched on TracFone’s service after August 11, 2014 or activated with TracFone’s service after August 11, 2020.
- Customers must possess a handset that is in working condition.
- Customers must possess a handset that is not reported stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
- If a customer requesting handset unlocking is deployed military personnel, upon provision of deployment papers, TracFone will honor that customer’s unlocking request by sending a refund for the Trade-in Value of the used, locked phone returned by the customer without regard for the 12 months of service activation and air card redemption eligibility requirements. However, all other eligibility criteria apply to TracFone’s customers who are deployed military personnel.
- Customers are eligible for this program only once every twelve months.
All customers who are approved for a refund will receive a check in the mail from TracFone equal to the trade-in value of the handset. Any questions in regards to the TFW Unock Policy can be directed to the Unlocking Department at 1-888-442-5102.